Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Marker and Copic Storage Units made out of cardstock and foamboard.


I like to have my art supplies organized and where I can see them. With my markers and copics I also like to have them easily portable. My craft room is downstairs and I like to take my markers upstairs to doddle while watching TV. 

These are the first marker storage units that I made. The square tubes are made using cardstock. There is cardstock glued between each layer of tubes to hold the layers together. When all the layers were glued together I covered it with computer paper and painted it.


This is the first attempt at making a storage unit for my copics just using cardstock. I didn’t finish it because I knew I wanted something better and sturdier. I have seen on the internet a copic storage unit made out of wood that I really like. But being made out of wood I figured it would be too heavy to carry around. So I tried using foamboard with the cardstock.


With this unit the rectangle tubes are made out of cardstock then I put foamboard between each rectangle tube and between each layer. When all the layers were together I glued more foamboard on the sides and back. To decorate it I glued a pretty paper napkin on the sides and back. Then painted the top and bottom. If you use paper napkins in your art work be sure to check out the ones I have for sale click here.


I want another unit for some more markers that I have. With this unit I have decided to put foamboard between the layers instead of cardstock to make it sturdier like my Copic unit.

First decide how big the square tube needs to be. For my markers I am using an 1/2 inch square. Then decide how deep you want the unit. I like my markers to stick out so I can grab them easily. I’ve decided to make this unit 4 ½ inches deep. Also decide how many markers you want the storage unit to hold. Then how many layers with how many square tubes in each layer. I want 8 layers with 10 squares in each layer so I’ll need 80 square tubes. 

With a 11 by 8 ½ inch piece of cardstock you can get 6, ½ inch squares. First cut the cardstock so you have 2 pieces of 4 ½ by 8 1/2.


At each end score at ½ intervals. ½, 1, 1 ½, 2, and 2 ½. Within the last section make a mark. Flip it around and score the other end. 




Cut at the 2 ½ inch score mark on each end.


With the remaining piece make score marks and cut excess off. 



With these scored pieces, Fold 2 sections over.


 Then fold the section with the mark over that and tape.



Pick it up and play with it to make it square.


 To make the layers I find using a cardboard box helps to align everything up. Lay down however many square tubes you want in the layer. Then measurement and cut your foamboard accordingly. With wanting 8 layers I will need 9 pieces that are 4 ½ by 5 ½.


 Lay your squares down in the cardboard box snuggling them up together. Lay down foamboard piece to make sure your squares aren’t longer than the foamboard. Make adjustments if needed.


 Pick up the foamboard and put glue on top of squares. I use whatever old glue that I have on hand that I want used up.


Place foamboard on top making sure everything is snuggled up in the corner. Place something on top. I usually let this sit a bit before doing the next layer.


After making your individual layers they need to be glued together. 


Flip one over to where foamboard is on bottom and the squares are up. Add glue, then place next layer on top with formboard on bottom. 



Repeat with all layers ending with the last piece of  formboard on top.


After this has completely dried, measure unit for side pieces of  formboard and cut.


 Glue side pieces of foamboard. Put something on top to weight it down while drying.


 After that has dried measure and cut foamboard for back piece then glue.




Decorate how you want or leave plain. This one I covered with a paper napkin from the # 18 Miscellaneous Set.



The storage unit I made for the copics is done the same way but with foamboard between each rectangle tube. Here are the measurements for the cardstock to make the tubes.



Thanks for taking the time to read my tutorial.


3 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks for figuring out how to store copics. You get the "Mrs. Smarty Pants" award. I want to play too! Have you done the life book lesson yet?

mamaduck said...

Thank you for sharing your tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Thanks designed for sharing such a fastidious idea, paragraph is nice, thats why i have read it fully